All the strips on one site
Less funny, but shorter
The darkest timeline
T-shirts, totes, mugs and prints
Art, mini-comics and prints
COLUMNS / COMICS
My section of ComicsAlliance
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME FAN MAIL through Tumblr's fan mail feature. It is very poorly-designed for responding to. E-mail me if you like! Thanks!
powered by Tumblr.
Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book - Chapter 5 (by houdoken)
You won’t take the time to watch this entire video. It’s 37 minutes long. Nobody has that kind of time. The average person who visits this blog stays for one minute and thirty-six seconds. Did you know that? 96 seconds. I have your attention for that long. Can you read this that quickly?
If you listen, though, at night with a warm breeze drifting through the window and string lights hanging above your bed, you will understand what I think of as magic. You will know why I love Neil Gaiman.
I have learned, over the last several years, how to act around ‘celebrities.’ I visit comic conventions, our shop hosts a number of very talented and respectable artists, and I’ve come to understand that in general they’re just people who are put on pedestals by others. Exceptionally talented human beings, sure, but human beings all the same. The comic book world doesn’t factory-farm celebrities like the music industry; it takes a certain level of talent and hard work to make it. What I’m getting at here is that despite having a level head in the presence of a few very notable artists, I cannot imagine keeping it together around Neil Gaiman.
I have not read all of Sandman. I haven’t pored over every one of his works. I’ve read his stories about Death and I’ve read American Gods and Fragile Things. Still, I love absolutely nothing in the world the way I love the way he tells stories. I have the audiobook of Coraline on my iPod and it’s up there with the Dresden Dolls’ Yes, Virginia in terms of play count. I listen to it incessantly, even when random chapters come up on shuffle in between songs. I never get tired of it.
I’ve watched the videos of him reading The Graveyard Book a dozen times at least. The atmosphere, the voices, the way he keeps the audience hanging on every single word as they’re swept up in the ambiance of the story. It’s masterful. It’s all anyone could hope to do with their art. He captivates, and he makes you understand what it is to believe in the beauty of hidden things.
This chapter is called Danse Macabre, and it is the loveliest thing in the world. If you ever have 37 minutes, give it a chance. I won’t mind if you don’t love it, but I’d really love to know if you do.
- mrdieing likes this
- thesanityclause likes this
- zanderschubert likes this
- saberkite likes this
- necromander reblogged this from kateordie
- andrewstorytime reblogged this from kateordie and added:
- marlinsandthetrout likes this
- cthulhuhungers likes this
- dashboardmelted reblogged this from kateordie
- tomwasright likes this
- queenofs2s reblogged this from kateordie and added:
- queenofs2s likes this
- mindsnot likes this
- stillinbeta likes this
- notaluallen likes this
- kellymc4 likes this
- aka-andi reblogged this from kateordie and added:
- srvoloch likes this
- mychutneyiscomfortablydumb likes this
- laurentwoelectricboogaloo likes this
- beckylikesowls likes this
- alinalou likes this
- toxic-vom likes this
- pyyra reblogged this from kateordie
- pyyra likes this
- jamiebridgette likes this
- ktshy likes this
- theeesupremeruleroftheunderworld likes this
- bglass likes this
- accordionfire likes this
- butwewereokay likes this
- ringelstutzen likes this
- andkatiemakesfive reblogged this from kateordie
- akanegawa reblogged this from kateordie
- akanegawa likes this
- sleepinginlight likes this
- claudettedoom likes this
- beholdatimemachine reblogged this from kateordie
- snowpond likes this
- postmortemily reblogged this from kateordie
- puppy-eater likes this
- miscellanymatters likes this
- retracing-my-steps likes this
- candyelephants likes this
- cornwankies likes this
- thehobbitwithdragontattoos likes this
- nogoodison likes this
- anitalife likes this
- aleatoireperson likes this
- starksandrecreation likes this